Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cold is lifting...

Ok, so the cold is pretty much gone, there's still a bit of gruffness in my throat, but for the most part it's gone. I think persistently trying to sing while sick probably prolonged the throat soreness. I'm having my first lesson on Saturday with Shannon (I think I mentioned her before, but just in case: Shannon Kerr, we did undergrad together, she's an awesome singer).

Yesterday I had a small personal victory where I sang some solfege in front of a class (as an example), I picked a range low enough I could handle it and I had the confidence to really belt it out. It was in tune. It had a nice tone (anything that low really booms). A couple people in the class were even like "whoah". So, it may not seem like much, but it was actually a pretty big deal for a guy who is usually too embarrassed to sing in front of people.

Then both this morning and yesterday morning, before class, I grabbed the guitar and sang 1235321 patterns from as low as I could to as high as I could. Yesterday I started at the C below the bass staff, and today I could start at the Bb. Yesterday my range maxed out at middle C, but today the top end stopped at the G in the treble staff. So... quite a range difference in basically 24 hours. 2 octaves, to adding a 6th the next day. As much as probably every guy wants a lower range, a higher range is much more practical. I would guess that there's not a lot of music written lower than my range, from an arranging standpoint, things get really muddy down there. I think a warmup can help with keeping my range bigger, I'll definitely bring this up at my lesson on Saturday. I want to talk about everything at my lesson on Saturday, but I know that time is going to be limited. Range and warmup are probably the two most important topics right now. I hope there's time for falsetto too. Falsetto seems pretty important since my range is so low, and every time I do it, my throat gets really tight and really hurts.
Thanks for reading,
Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment